Freedom The Open Source Way Contribute Articles or News to OSForgeOSForge HomeLogout from Forums
Contacting OSForgeOSForge HomeAbout OSForge

Forum Main Page User Control Panel Register to be a member - It's Free Search for Posts Event Calendar Members Lists Help on Using This Forum
OSForge Forums ? Hardware & Drivers ? SuSe won't recognize floppy ? Hello Guest [login|register]
Last Post | First unread Post Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites

Post New Thread Post Reply

SuSe won't recognize floppy

Author
Post ? Previous Thread | Next Thread ?

Dave Dave is a Male
Fresh Tux

Quote | Edit | Report | IP | Up

Frown SuSe won't recognize floppy

I'm running SuSE 8.1 on a Cyrix II processor (250 MHZ) with 192 Meg Memory. Problem is it sort of half recognises the floppies. That is it took note of them in the install, and placed icons on the destop for them. But neither one works. I've got one of t hose old units that uses only one floppy cable to0 connect, but internally divides it into a 5-1/4 inch, and a 3-1/2 inch floppy with the 3-1/2 being A: or fd0 and the other one B: or fd1.
later I tried disconnecting that dual floppy drive, and connecting a standard 3-1/2 inch drive (the one that originaly was in the machine). but it still won't do anything.
When I click on the icon (or call for the floppy from a terminal) I get a long wait, and then an error that says that the drive is read only, and will be mounted read only. Then another long wait, and an error message saying that there were in/out errors, and I had failed to inform the system what format to use. Meanwhile, the floppy has made no noise, and the 'activity light' has not blinked.
But here's the wierd thing: Once (only one time) the system did recognise the floppy. Gave me the name of the jpeg file, and even a small thumbnail of it. Then the next boot it was gone again.
Any ideas? Is there a way to make SuSE delete and reinstall from scratch all that pertains to the floppy drives? (I mean without deleteing and reinstalling the whole operating system). Tongue Tongue

08-03-2003 02:43 Homepage of Dave Search for Posts by Dave Add Dave to your Buddy List

ewdi ewdi is a Male
Veteran Tux

sounds like the drive is the one having problem, try unmount that drive and did you do this as user or root?

08-03-2003 20:39 Homepage of ewdi Search for Posts by ewdi Add ewdi to your Buddy List
GallComp

Did you try switching cables... Maybe the data cable is damaged....

08-13-2003 23:22 Homepage of GallComp Search for Posts by GallComp Add GallComp to your Buddy List

Tree Structure | Board Structure

Rate SuSe won't recognize floppy

Poor very bad 

very good Excellent
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Scroll Up

About OSForge | Term of Use | Privacy | Contact us | Tell a Friend | Advertise