Freedom The Open Source Way Contribute Articles or News to OSForgeOSForge HomeLogout from Forums
Contacting OSForgeOSForge HomeAbout OSForge

Forum Main Page User Control Panel Register to be a member - It's Free Search for Posts Event Calendar Members Lists Help on Using This Forum
OSForge Forums ? Linux on PPC ? dvd vs ydl... ? Hello Guest [login|register]
Last Post | First unread Post Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites

Post New Thread Post Reply

dvd vs ydl...

Author
Post ? Previous Thread | Next Thread ?

kr0m3 kr0m3 is a Male
Fresh Tux

Quote | Edit | Report | IP | Up

dvd vs ydl...

right. probably talking to an audience of one. prolly some frickin member's grandma who was trying to figure out her aol........
Wink

bottom line:
----------------
Powerbook G3 Wallstreet (256 Ram/dvd/etc)
Yellow Dog 3.0 (latest ISO's from linuxiso.org)
DVD players tested (all from freshrpms.net):
mplayer
ogle
xine

issue:
--------
video playback in xine or mplayer is 'jerky' at best, can hear sound, can see video, however playback is so fragmented and slow that it is unwatchable.
ogle will not playback at all and simply closes instead.

troubleshooting steps attempted:
--------------------------------------------
ln -s /dev/cdrom /dev/dvd (not really troubleshooting, per se...but it has been done.)
(su, emacs: /etc/modules.conf) options ide-cd dma=1

possible clue:
--------------------
the ydl site lists the wallstreet as supported, however states that you should pass "video=atyfb:vmode:14" to BootX at install-time, which OF COURSE i did not do....
**sigh**
hell, im not even sure what that does.....or where to put it! i didnt remember seeing the familiar (redhat) screen during install that let me pass comments to the kernel at startup...maybe i was just asleep.
i think that the argument being passed has to do with X displaying resolutions correctly...but im not sure if it is related to this or not.

i would have thought enabled dma would have fixed it....**sigh again**

SO:
-----
can anyone throw me a bone here and tell me either:

A) what does 'video=atyfb:vmode:14' do and how can i pass it AFTER installation? i know it has to do with X properly displaying resolutions....everything else seems ok.....?? maybe not related?

B) offer any solution at all that will bring my dvd playing up to par?

...c'mon granny, you know you wanna help me 'make menuconfig' till dawn...

thanx in advance...
viva la linux!
~k

01-04-2004 22:13 Homepage of kr0m3 Search for Posts by kr0m3 Add kr0m3 to your Buddy List

kr0m3 kr0m3 is a Male
Fresh Tux

Quote | Edit | Report | IP | Up

**update**

ok, my bad. its a PISMO (500mhz, firewire) not a wallstreet...

the kernel parameters do not apply then...YDL's site states that it is fully supported.....

any ideas?

01-05-2004 15:06 Homepage of kr0m3 Search for Posts by kr0m3 Add kr0m3 to your Buddy List

Tree Structure | Board Structure

Rate dvd vs ydl...

Poor very bad 

very good Excellent
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Scroll Up

About OSForge | Term of Use | Privacy | Contact us | Tell a Friend | Advertise