Freedom The Open Source Way Contribute Articles or News to OSForgeOSForge HomeLogout from Forums
Contacting OSForgeOSForge HomeAbout OSForge

Forum Main Page User Control Panel Register to be a member - It's Free Search for Posts Event Calendar Members Lists Help on Using This Forum
OSForge Forums ? Hardware & Drivers ? Winmodem ? Hello Guest [login|register]
Last Post | First unread Post Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites

Post New Thread Post Reply

Winmodem

Author
Post ? Previous Thread | Next Thread ?

brutus brutus is a Male
Starter Tux

Quote | Edit | Report | IP | Up

Winmodem

I just noticed that there's no ? icon for threads... Hmm...

Anyhow...
I purchased a USR 5699B PCI modem for my computer, and have had nothing but trouble with it in Windoesnt. I have looked at winmodem lists to see what is compatible with linux and this one has a big ! next to it, meaning no, it is not compatible.

What I don't understand though, is Kudzu finds it with no problem and even identifies that it is a 56K PCI modem. However, I don't know how to interface it. Should it default to /dev/modem? Should it have its own com port?

The problem I have had with it in M$ land, is after about 30 minutes the connection just dies, almost as if it has been physically disconnected, but if you look in the systray it still shows an active connection. I want to try it in Linux and see if it still does it. If not, then I will hang on to it, even though I have sent USR a modem on warranty claim saying I want them to buy it back. That was 2 weeks ago and I still have not heard anything....

Any ideas?

09-21-2003 23:25 Homepage of brutus Search for Posts by brutus Add brutus to your Buddy List

linda
Tux

you might want to check on TTL (time to live) in winblows land.

as in linux, usually /dev/modem and default port should be fine, if kudzu detect them, it should work

09-22-2003 09:01 Homepage of linda Search for Posts by linda Add linda to your Buddy List
brutus brutus is a Male
Starter Tux

It turns out the the modem isn't Linux compatible. Some other model like the 5699C is, but not the 5699B.

I went out and bought another one, just to rule out the factor of defective hardware. I got the same results. I don't think it is a TTL issue though. I emailed my ISP about it, and they're just as confused. I guess a lot of people in my area have been having the same problem with that modem.

04-01-2004 10:07 Homepage of brutus Search for Posts by brutus Add brutus to your Buddy List

Tree Structure | Board Structure

Rate Winmodem

Poor very bad 

very good Excellent
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Scroll Up

About OSForge | Term of Use | Privacy | Contact us | Tell a Friend | Advertise