Freedom The Open Source Way Contribute Articles or News to OSForgeOSForge HomeLogout from Forums
Contacting OSForgeOSForge HomeAbout OSForge

Forum Main Page User Control Panel Register to be a member - It's Free Search for Posts Event Calendar Members Lists Help on Using This Forum
OSForge Forums ? Networking Linux ? samba printing... ? Hello Guest [login|register]
Last Post | First unread Post Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites

Post New Thread Post Reply

samba printing...

Author
Post ? Previous Thread | Next Thread ?

kr0m3 kr0m3 is a Male
Fresh Tux

Quote | Edit | Report | IP | Up

Shocked samba printing...

ok, lets get this party started right...

Cool

RH9/KDE3.1/SAMBA2.2.7a (with SWAT and redhat-config-samba installed).

/home/samba created and shared.
'read' to group 'samba', 'write' to specific users A & B.

system users A & B created. 'home' directories pointed to /home/samba. added to group 'samba'

ALL OF ABOVE IS FUNCTIONAL. users A or B connect within LAN from WXP (pro) boxes, through DLINK router and can r,w,x as specified.

however, LNX box (as described above) also has HP 712c deskjet installed. Users can see printer, users can install printer remotely. users used to be able to print as well, however at this time:
USERS CANNOT PRINT (no errors, just no print)

now then, i say that they USED TO PRINT...here is what changed:
I realized that RH firewall was blocking samba so i killed it and ran BASTILLE instead. i configured bastille appropriately (i thought) and left port 139 open for smb. i tested, all was ok. i rebooted, all was still ok.
at some point, things went decidedly NOT ok. confused

the only other thing that i did was harden the DLINK firewall...and I am going through it's settings now as well. however, I am finding NOTHING wrong with either the bastille FW or the Dlink FW settings...it SHOULD be working!

so...i need someone to double-check my smb.conf settings. the printer lines in question follow:
[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
printable = Yes
browseable = No

[lp0]
path = /var/spool/samba
read only = No
printable = Yes
printer name = lp0
oplocks = No
and, the GLOBAL section follows:
[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP_NAME
server string = MACHINE_DESCRIPTION
encrypt passwords = Yes
obey pam restrictions = Yes
pam password change = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
unix password sync = Yes
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 0
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
dns proxy = No
guest ok = Yes
hosts allow = 192.168. 127.
printing = cups

I dont see any problems! the printer IS lp0 and can (as I said) be browsed to and installed from the Win clients. Further, it prints correctly locally.

do YOU see any problems?
**sigh**
thanx in advance!

~k

09-01-2003 15:50 Homepage of kr0m3 Search for Posts by kr0m3 Add kr0m3 to your Buddy List

ewdi ewdi is a Male
Veteran Tux

that's odd, it should be able to print, did you make sure the authentication is correct? i gues su did sinc eu can see the printer, what dlink router do you have?

09-01-2003 16:48 Homepage of ewdi Search for Posts by ewdi Add ewdi to your Buddy List
kr0m3 kr0m3 is a Male
Fresh Tux

damn firewall policies...

ok, samba is in the clear, d-link is set up correctly as well. the issue is bastille. it is locking my smb users out (even though i am leaving 139 open...grr)

the built-in RH firewall did same, but i didn't specifically edit it for ports beyond what lokkit of redhat-config-firewall had to offer (which aint much)...

so...can NE1 tell me what ports i need to clear (tcp/udp) for samba clients to be able to pass through? i would really appreciate it at this point!

thanx in advance!
~k

09-01-2003 22:53 Homepage of kr0m3 Search for Posts by kr0m3 Add kr0m3 to your Buddy List
ewdi ewdi is a Male
Veteran Tux

open udp-port 137:138

i would recommend you to try apf firewall, i used to like bastille but kind a throw me off with lockup issue

09-02-2003 13:44 Homepage of ewdi Search for Posts by ewdi Add ewdi to your Buddy List

Tree Structure | Board Structure

Rate samba printing...

Poor very bad 

very good Excellent
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Scroll Up

About OSForge | Term of Use | Privacy | Contact us | Tell a Friend | Advertise