Freedom The Open Source Way Contribute Articles or News to OSForgeOSForge HomeLogout from Forums
Contacting OSForgeOSForge HomeAbout OSForge

Forum Main Page User Control Panel Register to be a member - It's Free Search for Posts Event Calendar Members Lists Help on Using This Forum
OSForge Forums ? Loud Penguin ? Skills to be a successful programmer ? Hello Guest [login|register]
Last Post | First unread Post Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites

Post New Thread Post Reply

Skills to be a successful programmer
3 Votes - Average Rating: 4.003 Votes - Average Rating: 4.003 Votes - Average Rating: 4.003 Votes - Average Rating: 4.00

Author
Post ? Previous Thread | Next Thread ?

mfierro
Fresh Tux

Quote | Edit | Report | IP | Up

Question Skills to be a successful programm

Hello to everybody. What each of you thinks that is necesary to have success in the software world? My question is related to what do you think a programmer needs to know to earn enough money to have a relaxed style of life: what attitude, what programming languages must he/she know, has he/she to work for a big enterprise or to have one of your own, etc. I would like to hear all kinds of opinnions (even from students or people that don't consider themselves successful profesionals). Thanks to all beforehand.

05-06-2003 12:56 Search for Posts by mfierro Add mfierro to your Buddy List

ewdi ewdi is a Male
Veteran Tux

I would say the creativity of an individual as a programmer would be a great factor :p

05-07-2003 01:36 Homepage of ewdi Search for Posts by ewdi Add ewdi to your Buddy List
linda
Tux

be organized, that's one thing i would say a good programmer could be, it helps on team work too.

06-18-2003 08:54 Homepage of linda Search for Posts by linda Add linda to your Buddy List
CrystalFiSt CrystalFiSt is a Male
Fresh Tux

although i am not a "successful programmer" yet (hopefully someday), i would think in order to be a programmer that succeeds higher than most other programmers you would have to be unique, original, and dedicated...
you could have all the diplomas and certifications out there, but if you're better than everybody else there will definitely be a demand for you.

07-02-2003 01:47 Search for Posts by CrystalFiSt Add CrystalFiSt to your Buddy List
ewdi ewdi is a Male
Veteran Tux

unfortunately, company hiring based on the papers Frown

07-02-2003 08:35 Homepage of ewdi Search for Posts by ewdi Add ewdi to your Buddy List
LiquidDarkness LiquidDarkness is a Male

That's true, even if you got the skills, it's the paper they want to see...

07-03-2003 05:30 Search for Posts by LiquidDarkness Add LiquidDarkness to your Buddy List
nicc777 nicc777 is a Male
Fresh Tux

Mad

I enjoy my life a lot, and I am into the following:

* Perl ( Primary Focus )
* MySQL ( used for all my backend stuff )
* Apache ( For the front end stuff )

Together with the above, it's good to know about Cygwin and ActiveState Perl for crossplatform dev. on Windows.

Cheers

07-03-2003 05:31 Homepage of nicc777 Search for Posts by nicc777 Add nicc777 to your Buddy List
Ravish Ravish is a Male

quote:
Originally posted by ewdi
unfortunately, company hiring based on the papers Frown

I really hate this papers formalities Tongue. Companies (especially Govt. Companies in India) wants papers more than skills. Dunno why they couldn't just undestand that skills are gonna do work not papers.

I just started my career as a professional and I am glad to say that I am getting clients Smile may be cuz I concentrate on quality.

07-19-2003 03:52 Homepage of Ravish Search for Posts by Ravish Add Ravish to your Buddy List
brutus brutus is a Male
Starter Tux

quote:
Originally posted by Ravish
I really hate this papers formalities Tongue. Companies (especially Govt. Companies in India) wants papers more than skills. Dunno why they couldn't just undestand that skills are gonna do work not papers.

It is that way here in the US too. I am a second-year student studying programming, and just finding an internship is far from easy.

09-03-2003 15:09 Homepage of brutus Search for Posts by brutus Add brutus to your Buddy List
ewdi ewdi is a Male
Veteran Tux

oh man, internship, beside the abuse (sometimes :p) it's hard to hunt down one since so many otehr students is chasing it

09-03-2003 16:34 Homepage of ewdi Search for Posts by ewdi Add ewdi to your Buddy List

Tree Structure | Board Structure

Rate Skills to be a successful programmer

Poor very bad 

very good Excellent
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Scroll Up

About OSForge | Term of Use | Privacy | Contact us | Tell a Friend | Advertise