Freedom The Open Source Way Contribute Articles or News to OSForgeOSForge HomeLogout from Forums
Contacting OSForgeOSForge HomeAbout OSForge

Forum Main Page User Control Panel Register to be a member - It's Free Search for Posts Event Calendar Members Lists Help on Using This Forum
OSForge Forums ? General Linux & Open Sou ? Synchronizing users list in two different redhat linux servers ? Hello Guest [login|register]
Last Post | First unread Post Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites

Post New Thread Post Reply

Synchronizing users list in two different redhat linux servers
1 Votes - Average Rating: 1.00

Author
Post ? Previous Thread | Next Thread ?

jimleow jimleow is a Male
Fresh Tux

Quote | Edit | Report | IP | Up

Text Synchronizing users list in two di

Hi! I need to know whether it is possible to synchronize the users list in two different redhat linux servers? For an instance, the first server hosts Sendmail with its own users list and the second server hosts the Samba as the PDC with its own users list. Can I actually synchronize the users list in Samba server to the Sendmail server automatically instead of adding in manually. Please help!

04-02-2003 12:07 Search for Posts by jimleow Add jimleow to your Buddy List

ewdi ewdi is a Male
Veteran Tux

beside server mirroring, i'm not sure if there is any more way, let me do some research and see if it's possible to setup users lists copy script and cron it so it will sync it on certain time.

04-02-2003 13:47 Homepage of ewdi Search for Posts by ewdi Add ewdi to your Buddy List
sketch sketch is a Male
Veteran Tux

One option is to run a cron job every x minutes/hours whatever to scp /etc/passwd to the other server. Never really tried it and you'd have to deal with some security issues. Maybe parse through it for proper uid's?

Good question.

Aaron

10-02-2003 07:51 Homepage of sketch Search for Posts by sketch Add sketch to your Buddy List
MaUer MaUer is a Male
Fresh Tux

RE: Synchronizing users list in tw

quote:
Originally posted by jimleow
Hi! I need to know whether it is possible to synchronize the users list in two different redhat linux servers? For an instance, the first server hosts Sendmail with its own users list and the second server hosts the Samba as the PDC with its own users list. Can I actually synchronize the users list in Samba server to the Sendmail server automatically instead of adding in manually. Please help!

Have you thinked about using Yellow Pages (NIS)?
This is great and allow you to set user & group accounts and permissions for your entire network at one location.

Another option was mentioned before....
Put some cron lines in your servers to exchange /etc files
if any of them was modified.
I?ve did this before and code a script to cron table that runs every 15 min and checks if /etc/passwd /etc/groups or /etc/shadow were modified in the past 15 min and copy only the modified ones.

01-25-2004 12:47 Search for Posts by MaUer Add MaUer to your Buddy List

Tree Structure | Board Structure

Rate Synchronizing users list in two different redhat linux servers

Poor very bad 

very good Excellent
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Scroll Up

About OSForge | Term of Use | Privacy | Contact us | Tell a Friend | Advertise